Exclusive Possession


    Tenants, Landlords and Letting Agents

    When you enter into a tenancy, you are entering into a legal contract with a landlord or letting agent for the property or room that you are renting. This guide will help you to understand what a landlord is, the difference between a landlord and a letting agent and what their roles are within your tenancy.

    To unlock this housing guide login or register for a free account and join the Abode community.


    Types of Tenancy

    For most students, renting is a usual part of the student experience but have you ever wondered what type of tenancy you have or the protections that it can give you during your tenancy? Read on to find out more about the types of tenancy that you can have as a student or short-term renter and the security that each type can provide.

    Assured Shorthold Tenancy

    The Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) is a type of statutory tenancy that allows your landlord to let their property to you for a specific amount of time whilst retaining the right to possession of their property at the end of your contractual term, as long as they follow the correct statutory process to end your AST.